The leaves are turning colors, the temperature is getting cooler, and you find yourself trading in your flip-flops for boots; fall has officially arrived! Switching your mindset from beach days to pumpkin patches, it is time to soak up every single moment that autumn has to offer. Wondering how to get the most out of the season? Here are 50 fun-filled ideas that are sure to have you enjoying fall in no time!
Want to be sure you have these suggestions at your fingertips (without having to print a lengthy list or visit this page again and again?) Be sure to download the FREE “Fall Bucket List” that not only includes the list below but has additional room for you to personalize it with local events! (access to download at the end of post)
Full disclosure, I was provided with Schuster Farm tickets in exchange for my review, but as ALWAYS, I only recommend products that I truly love and all opinions included are 100% my own. In fact, I even went back and purchased tickets another day to go again!
Fall Bucket List
- Pumpkin patch*– Enjoy a leisurely stroll through the patch or search for and purchase pumpkins. Make it a competition by setting a timer and seeing who can find the largest or smallest pumpkin amongst the patch!
- Corn maze*– With more and more local farms hosting corn mazes, the experience can now take hours to complete! Make it a competition or work together as a team, the experience is sure not to disappoint!
- Haunted House/Haunted Forest*- While they definitely aren’t for everyone, those that love them simply just can’t get enough. No better way to get in the Halloween spirit!
- Make leaf houses– Collect leaves and make your own house. Create separate blueprints for rooms, doorways and even furniture. Let your imagination guide you and turn your entire backyard into a house plan lined with leaves!
- Jump in a pile of leaves– Nothing says fall like jumping in a pile of crisp leaves!
- Leaf racking races– Yard full of leaves? Why not turn the chore into a game? Who can rake the fastest!?
- Trick-or-Treating– How can you say “no” to this one?!
- Carve a pumpkin– Work on one pumpkin as a family or turn it into a competition amongst family and friends and vote on your favorite pumpkin!
- Paint a pumpkin– Looking for a safer alternative to carving? Whip out the paints and get to work! Kids will love this one!
- Nature walk– Nothing like fall to remind us just how beautiful nature can be. Make sure to enjoy a walk and soak it all in!
- Apple picking*- Whether you enjoy the taste of apples or not (I may be the only one that doesn’t), the activity can’t get much more fall and is buckets of fun!
- Decorate Trick-or-Treating bags– A wonderful activity for kiddos. Crack out the markers, paints, stickers and more and let them personalize their very own trick-or-treating bag!
- Make a “thankful for” list– While this would be a wonderful activity any time of the year, fall and its corresponding holiday “Thanksgiving”, makes for a wonderful time to make this very valuable and eye-opening list!
- Attend local fall festivals– Chances are every city has their very own way to celebrate this beautiful season… make sure to check them out!
- Try new pumpkin recipes– Pumpkin bread, muffins, pie… Yum!
- Bake a pie– So many options… have fun!
- Attend a football game or tailgate party– A wonderful way to gather with friends/family while enjoying a favorite pastime!
- Make a scarecrow- Fun for both kiddos and adults alike!
- Burn a fall inspired candle– Even when trapped inside, you can smell all things fall has to offer!
- Make chili– Is it just me, or do you automatically think football when you picture/taste chili?
- Have a picnic– Under a beautiful tree with falling leaves. Does it get any more beautiful?
- Go for a long bike ride– Another fantastic way to view all nature has to offer.
- Enjoy a hayride*- Perhaps out to a pumpkin patch? Perhaps curled up under a blanket?
- Watch a Halloween/spooky movie– Not into scary movies? What about Hocus Pocus or The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown? Classics!
- Knit a scarf/sweater– Or perhaps take on learning the craft?
- Try a new crockpot recipe– So many recipes, so little time!
- Make your favorite soup– Yum!
- Cuddle up near an indoor fire– After a warm summer, it is finally time to enjoy those fireplaces.
- Take a scenic drive– Windows cracked, music playing, good company beside you…. pure joy.
- Enjoy candy corn and other seasonal candies– A perfect time for a sweet tooth.
- Start a new book– Been putting a book off all summer? Now is the perfect time to cuddle up and crack it open.
- Complete a puzzle– Either solo or with others… the perfect leisure activity.
- Go horseback riding– Doesn’t get much more picturesque than this.
- Attend a Farmer’s Market– Food, flowers, crafts, fall air… yes, please!
- Play board games– Perfect family activity.
- Order a latte– The perfect way to warm up on those cold fall days. Make it pumpkin spiced!
- Enjoy a bonfire*– Cool air, warm fire… happiness!
- Shop for or create a Halloween costume– Perhaps even take it up a notch and think of family or friend costume themes.
- Do an art project with leaves– Crafts for adults, art projects for kiddos… leaves make for the perfect medium.
- Color or paint fall/Halloween themed pictures– Perfect way to include kiddos!
- Attend a craft show– Get a jump start on your Christmas shopping or just enjoy window shopping.
- Visit a petting zoo*- You are never too old to enjoy the animals.
- Make applesauce– Perhaps after going apple picking? Yum!
- Break out your comfortable blankets– Nothing quite compares to a soft, fluffy blanket in the fall.
- Check out fall/Halloween books from the library– Too many great ones to count.
- Eat/make a caramel apple*- Yum… the toppings are endless! Take it up a notch by hosting a caramel apple decorating party.
- Cook a turkey– Happy Thanksgiving!
- Cook pumpkin seeds– Experiment with new seasonings each year.
- Take family portraits outdoors– No time of year makes for a more beautiful backdrop.
- **Go to a local family farm**– Want a way to enjoy all of the (*) items above in one day and at just one location? This fall, make sure and visit a local family farm and jam pack in a day of fall fun! A personal fall staple in our household, we can’t get enough of family farms (enjoying them just as much as before kiddos as we do now after).
Note: If you happen to find yourself in the Midwest, specifically Wisconsin, be sure and check out “Schuster’s Farm” located in Deerfield, Wisconsin. Our personal favorite farm, we have now attended this same location for the past 8 years straight (often multiple times a season and even once with a 2-week-old because we didn’t dare miss a year) in order to get the most out of fall. Schuster’s Farm includes all the (*) items above in one FUN location!
Make sure to get the most out of your fall with this FREE “Ultimate Fall Bucket List” printable! (Additional space included in order to personalize your very own bucket list!)
To download, simply enter in your address below. Afterwards, you will receive access to Simply September’s “Freebies” collection where you can find this download and endless others!